Thursday, December 04, 2003

Google should understand this

Google should understand this: "1) A webmaster's point of view:

Google owes its existence to Adwords. Adwords supply the revenue for serving the 'free' results.

If I spend money on advertising with any media, I expect that media to be of reasonable standard and observe some deontology.

As an Adwords advertiser, I expect from Google to serve 'free' results that are unbiaised and independent from their advertising section.

If (this is only an 'if' ) it was proven that Google:

- have used Adwords data, in any way, to influence their 'free' results;

- have tampered with their 'free' results in order to get more Adwords revenue;

- have introduced one or several 'spies' into the webmaster community with the purpose of disseminating supposedly helpful, but in reality fallacious information that will lead to the fall of money-making websites, and lead their owners to hopefully buy more Adwords;

If any of the above was true, I would then tend to think that this is a case for an ethic committee... or maybe even for a criminal court?

2) A consumer's point of view:

Google is not free. I pay for the 'free' results by purchasing any item that is being sold through Adwords. I expect the 'free' results to be unbiaised and independent from their advertising section. If it was proven that Google are tampering with the free results to gain financial advantage, I would feel deceived and I would then tend to think that this is a case for an ethic committee... or maybe even for a criminal court?

-- "

No comments: